Sunday, June 12, 2016

Porcupine Meatball Recipe

Hi everyone, my name is Darlene and welcome back to my blog. Today I am sharing with you one of my family’s favorite meals – Porcupine Balls. These are hearty and well-seasoned meatballs with rice which simmer in a rich tomato sauce.
Meatballs  Recipe with Rice in Tomato SauceMy Mom showed me how to make these porcupine balls and in turn I showed my daughters. They now make them for their families. I’m sure your family will enjoy them as much as we do!


Porcupine Ball Recipe
Meatballs Recipe with Rice in Tomato Sauce
Serves: 4-6
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 60 mins

  

Ingredients
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef
  • 1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice (Uncle Bens)
  • 2 slightly beaten eggs
  • ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
  • ⅛ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt (optional for low sodium diets)
  • 2 (680 ml) cans Hunts Tomato Sauce
  • 1 cup water


Instructions
  1. In a medium sized bowl combine meat, rice, eggs, onions, pepper, salt and ½ cup water.
  2. Mix thoroughly and shape into 24 meatballs and place into a pot.
  3. Mix tomato sauce and remaining water. Pour over meatballs.
  4. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
  5. Cover and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.

Meatballs with Rice in Tomato Sauce
You can make these in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hour or on high for 3-4 hours. 

Serve on a bed of rice or with potatoes as a side dish.

Serve the Porcupine Meatballs with diced boiled potatoes. We like to pour some of the sauce over our potatoes.

Does your family have a similar recipe you enjoy? I'd love to hear about it.

**********************************************************
My porcupine meatballs have been featured!

What a pleasant surprise Anne. Thank you so much for featuring my meatballs at your party.

To see the other features please check them out HERE.


What a wonderful surprise to find my meatballs featured by Danielle at her Weekend Wind-Down Party.

To see the other features please check them out HERE.
***********************************************************

Darlene NemethI love to read your opinions and comments. It makes my day.

Bye for now.
Wishing you the best, Darlene

My apologies, all anonymous comments are deleted due to an excessive amount of spam.



Don't forget to subscribe, like and share!


15 comments:

  1. nom nom this is very similar to the mixture I made and add for stuffed peppers BUT I am the only one willing to eat stuffed peppers here (bunch of picky don't know what's good eaters here). This will be perfect to make for THEM while I eat the pepper :) brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another old fashioned recipe that's kid pleasing and a family favorite! Good memories, Darlene! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Darlene, these meatballs look so good! They would go great with rice, noodles or pasta!
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
    Enjoy the week. :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves most meatball recipes. I'm sure he'll enjoy this one. Putting it on my to make list. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well don't these sound delicious! YUM!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Recipes and Crafts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always to lazy to make meatballs. All that shaping just gets to me, but they always look so amazing. Can I come over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite. I love them wrapped in cabbage. I'm going to try your recipe as a meatloaf style because my family will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for linking up at Welcome Home Wednesdays, hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delish! This is similar to what I use in my stuffed peppers recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings back so many memories as my mother made something similar when I was a kid, probably from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the one with the red plaid cover). It's kinda cool to see how these recipes are still popular today. Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! We love meatball recipes! This one looks great! Thanks for sharing at #SmallVictories Sunday linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds yummy!

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids usually love meatballs so I will keep the recipe and make some for them. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Darlene. Thank you so much for joining me at Thriving on Thursdays a fortnight ago. (My internet connection was down last week so couldn't host the party.) Porcupines are a classic Australian meal that we've enjoyed for years. You've reminded me that I need to make them again for my family. I'm featuring your post at tomorrow's party. Thanks again for joining in.

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darlene, I have not made these for years. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe for them. Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete